Wednesday, 25 September 2019

ROCK ON ...Or ... SAYING IT WITH FLOWERS!

We had entered the Eastern Wheatbelt area of WA, but for us it became the Rock area ... and what wonderful rocks they were. We never did see the rock at Bruce Rock as we left the town straight after church on the Sunday morning, but we did enjoy a walk around town at sunset which soon became nightfall on Saturday. As Steve shared from the last entry, he had found some wonderful memorials and we also discovered beautiful art panels along their mosaic pathway that documents the families, businesses, sport and social life of the town and district through the past century. It was really beautiful to see, but it was one of those places where we just walked, watched and didn't document. We thoroughly enjoyed being with the people in the little Church of Christ on Sunday morning, but were saddened that they have been without a pastor for many years, as have so many rural churches. We spent a very long time with them over morning tea which is why we didn't go back to photograph the mosaic pathway in daylight. As we drove north through beautiful crops, I realised that we were in the area where our friend Cheryl had grown up, and that added to the interest as we drove. When we arrived in Merredin we found their silo art while it was still a sunny day, and then made our way to Merredin Rock where people with self-contained vehicles can camp. The weather turned ominous and the wind was blowing a gale, but after setting up we climbed the rock for the views and were rewarded with finding a clump of tiny white spider, red spider and some ant or clown orchids, a fantastic 360°view of the farmland, the town ... and the impending storm. This storm hit us and, although quite wet and therefore cold, we had to make our way down the rock! These granite outcrops can become quite slippery. We spent most of the remaining part of the day in the van but decided that we'd get up early to see if we could get non-windblown shots of the orchids.

A different silo art

Camp spot for the night

Walls were built to capture the rainfall for the railway dam

The coming storm from the top of the rock

Receiving a phone call from his son

First time we'd seen the Ant/Clown/Jack-in-the-box Orchid

A clump of Spider Orchids I found not far from the van

It dawned fine but very cold with an extremely heavy dew, and so we headed back up the rock at first light, being very careful where we trod. Incredibly the dried up dull moss and grey lichen of the previous climb was now plump and green from the rain and as we walked across the top of the rock we were amazed at the diamond sparkles from the grasses and flowers that were heavy with dew. We were able to get some shots of the dew-laden orchids before the wind again picked up as the sun rose higher. Another couple who had seen us head up with cameras and tripod, decided we knew what we were doing and came up to find us. They were thrilled to be shown the three different types of orchid, and they too got some photos. We spent a long time in conversation before retracing our steps, having our now late brekkie and packing up to leave.

Possibly the Chameleon Orchid

A raindrop laden Ant Orchid

You can see why it is sometimes called the Clown Orchid

Possibly the Crimson Spider Orchid

One of the Diuris family

After the necessary pharmacy stop as I was running low on medication, and a fuel top up at the only independent servo in town where the proprietress still comes out to clean windscreens and fill tanks, and the inevitable conversation while the diesel was filling, we set off again through beautiful farmland along good roads with little traffic. What a great drive we had. When we went through Nungarin, where we stopped for coffee at the cafe cum hardware store cum general store, we chose to deviate through a place I have seen on the map and have always been amused by the name ... Muckinbudin! We lunched there, and then walked through a nature trail in a reserve formerly set aside in honour of both indigenous and pioneer women on the edge of town.

Beside the road stop in Nungarin

In Nungarin

Muckinbudin walk trail

Muckinbudin walk trail

Muckinbudin walk trail

Muckinbudin walk trail

Muckinbudin walk trail

Along the road towards Ben Cubbin

The might be little but together they pack a punch

After lunch we were heading towards Bencubbin where we were planning to camp at another rock, this time Marshall Rock. The shire here have provided a new drop toilet block, an information board about the history and fire pits. There was only one other van parked a long way from us, but the view of everlasting daisies, magnificent trees and two different rocks on either side of us was very peaceful. Being Monday, it was Monday Mates day back home, and so Steve set off for his run and I went for a walk. My walk took me up Marshall Rock and I was rewarded with a great view. I then clambered down the rock and headed off along the track beside the second rock which was larger in area but covered in shrubs and there was no way of climbing it. I walked until the track ran out and by then I was aware of the fact that Steve wasn't with me and if I had run into a snake I would have been too far from the van so I turned back. I found what I thought might have been a stem of tiny orchids and so went back to get my camera with the macro lens. By then, Steve was finishing his run so walked with me. After taking some photos [which I have since found out were not orchids but part of the brassica family], I took him up Marshall Rock to share the views I had found before we returned to the caravan for a wash and preparation for dinner. Steve cooked the hamburgers on the outside barbecue while I prepared the rest and then we sat outside to eat under the stars.

Our night's camp spot

View half way up Marshall Rock

Interesting piece of rock

I enjoyed my solo walk!
Rather windswept coming down the rock

Looking towards the second rock

After seeing a few of these telltale signs I turned back

I love everlastings

From the brassica family

I took Steve up the rock after he'd finished his road running

These granite outcrops have such interesting shapes

The next morning we left rather later than we had anticipated as we knew that we needed to keep heading in the Geraldton direction for our self-imposed deadline there. As we passed through Beacon and Kalannie we were surprised to find such good crops that far north east of Perth as I understood that it was on the edge of arable land. Our thoughts turned to all those who are struggling with such deep drought on the other side of the continent! We also kept our eyes open in case we were to pass Ure Road where our daughter-in-law's mother grew up and where her uncle still farms, but alas, we were on the wrong road for that. We stopped for lunch in Dalwallinu, got fuel in Wubin and made our way along the Wubin Mullewa Road where the flowering trees and shrubs lining the road were a feast for our eyes, especially when juxtaposed with the brilliant green and yellow of the wheat and canola crops under a blue sky with white clouds scattered across it. At Buntine we left the road to make our way into Buntine Rock, and this was the first really rough road we'd encountered. There were deep washed away ruts but the slow drive in was completely worth it. There were many camps already set up, but we found a vacant spot and were rewarded with a beautiful carpet of white, pink and yellow not far outside the van door. We went walking towards the main rock about a kilometre from the camp area. Along the track there were plentiful donkey orchids, and not being an expert, I think that there were at least three different sub-species of the diuris. We also found more ant or clown orchids and lemon-scented sun orchids before we climbed the rock. This view, in the late afternoon sun, was different to the others in that there was a distinct line between a huge nature reserve area and the cropped farmland. Reluctantly leaving the rock where we had explored the outcrops behind, we made our way back along the track as the sun was getting very low but we found a couple feverishly looking for the ant orchids so we took them back to get their photos before they set off for the rest of their journey. I'm glad I didn't have to drive where they were to go through the dark! I still had time to get some shots of the last rays of sun over the everlasting carpet. We built a campfire and cooked a stew and foil wrapped potatoes in the coals and then ate contentedly under the stars.

The road crossed a salt lake

Beautiful reflections

Roadside beauty

Roadside beauty

Roadside beauty

Roadside beauty

Panorama from the top of Buntine Rock

Exploring behind the rock

View from behind the rock

A cluster of diuris

Masses of everlasting daisies

More granite near the camp spot

A feast for the eyes near the caravan

The little flowers look like a blanket of snow

The day nears its end

Ah, the bliss of sitting next to a campfire


In the morning [and by then I had no idea what day it was anymore] after another trip to the orchids we set back off and explored more of the road travelling northwest. We called into Bunjil Rocks and Caron Dam with its corrugated tin covering and the intact concreted and stone lined rain catching race which we walked along, and we enjoyed the floral findings but not the zillions of flies! This, and other dams were built by men so that the government could have water supply for the trains as they had promised railway to these outlying areas very early last century.

An early morning cluster of clowns

Such amazing shapes in these orchids

Everlastings make me smile

Such intricate little heads - Bunjil Rocks

Some interesting shapes and textures here

Another rock pool

Flowers growing on the side of the historic water race at Caron Dam

Donkey orchids are a perennial favourite

The lone Spider Orchid left at Caron beside one of the expired ones

Such an incredible rural history

The roofed dam

Cafe wall art of flowers around Perenjori
The same artist has painted the street infrastructure too

Arriving in Perenjori we stopped for coffee and, having talked to the young lass and seen the maps, we changed our minds about where we would camp for the evening. We realised we had one day more than we had thought and so we headed east instead of northwest and aren't we glad we did. First stop was Orchid Ridge where we had to drive down a farm road beside a terrific crop before reaching this two acre reserve. We found blue orchids of two varieties as well as donkeys, but we also met a WA couple who love hunting orchids. We spent a delightful time with them.

For 2 kilometres we drove up the farm road besidethe crop

A healthy crop

Granite Sun Orchid

Sun orchids ready to open

A Dainty Blue Orchid

Bird's eye view of the Dainty Blue Orchid

I think these are Yellow Granite Donkey Orchids

An orchid and its companions

We then headed further out along dirt roads to Camel Soak. We'd have loved to have had more time there! Again we were surrounded by everlastings under a large granite outcrop, but we also found orchids of a number of varieties, some of which were due to the couple we'd met at Orchid Ridge who also came to Camel Soak for the night. While Steve went for a run, I walked back out along the road before climbing the rock hoping to get a good sunset shot. Why was this rock called "Camel Soak"? Well, it is because of a deep hole carved out of the rock to catch water for both the men and the camels who were building the #2 Rabbit Proof Fence from 1903 to 1908. In the morning we further explored finding more orchids. When I shared my phone shots to the Facebook Group, "Australian Native Orchids", I found that the spider was the rare Perenjori White Spider orchid and that the Little Laughing Leek orchid that I'd seen near our camp spot was definitely a Little Laughing leek, but a 'very pregnant' one - hence the different colour and the fuller shape. I must admitted that I giggled at that description, but obviously there will be many more of this tiny, tiny orchid around next year.

Flowers and granite rocks make the perfect camp spot

View on my afternoon walk

View on my afternoon walk

Wildflowers are a feast for the eyes

The dug watering hole for men and camels

A natural water retaining depression on the rock with the setting sun
[and a dirty lens!]

Behind the rockacarpet of tiny flowers

After sunset

Nightfall

The Milky way and two Perth bound planes

My index finger shows how tiny the LittleLaughing Leek Orchids are

Lemon-scented Sun Orchid

The hybrid Prisoner Orchid

The rare Perenjori White Spider Orchid 

The "very pregnant" LittleLaughing Leek Orchid

Very reluctantly we made our way back the 40 odd kilometres to Perenjori for another coffee for our morning tea before the next stage of our journey! Keep a look out for Steve's next entry to our blog. But, to whet your appetite, I will leave these flowers I captured on the afternoon's journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment